Comparing Ourselves to Others

9:49:00 PM

There are so many people we can compare ourselves to. Our friends, our siblings, celebrities, ect. But is comparing ourselves to others a good thing?

Before we explore that topic, let's ask ourselves what comparison is. So, what is comparison? You compare yourself to others when you look at what you have and decide that what someone else has is either better or worse than what you have.

So, let's take a look at comparison. When you're comparing yourself to someone else (whether it be something she has or how she looks) you're usually concluding that what she has is better than what you have (or what you don't have). In this way, comparison can lead us to discontentment or jealousy. But in reality, comparison doesn't show us the whole picture. When we compare ourselves, often times, we are looking at someone's best and comparing it to our worst.

Often times, I wonder why I compare myself to others. It seems like such a silly thing to do if you really think it through. But I think that it's because I want to be better than those around me. And when I have that spirit, I definitely won't want to serve others like I talked about in my last post.
"It is the infirmity of our nature always to believe ourselves much more unhappy than those who groan by our sides." (Alexandre Dumas in The Count of Monte Cristo)
God created each of us differently, so instead to trying to be like others, we should simply give God the glory by becoming what He made us to be.

"For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves amongst themselves, are not wise." (2 Cor. 10:12 KJV)

<3 blue topaz

Enjoy this post? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

I allow anonymous comments but would be appreciative if you would leave your name when commenting. Thanks for commenting here; I really appreciate your feedback!

More Precious Than Gold. Powered by Blogger.