Overcoming Your Fear

1:31:00 PM


What are you afraid of? Maybe it's something little like wolf spiders (all though that doesn't seem very little to me... ) or maybe it's something deeper like a fear of what people think.

Being afraid isn't always a bad thing; when we break the law we should be afraid of policemen. But many times, for us law abiding citizens at least, fear isn't good. But how do you know if your fear is good or not?

If fear steals your joy of everyday life and keeps you from living - like really, truly living - than I think it is safe to say that that fear is bad.

So what are some bad fears? Well, I thought of three that we're going to talk about today.

1. Fear of what others think of us.
2. Fear of what the future will bring.
3. Fear that we won't measure up (that we'll never be enough for someone).

So let's look at #1.

Fear#1: Fear of what others think of us

People with this fear are often "people-pleasers." They are constantly thinking of what other people will think of them and often try and go along with the flow.

The danger in this fear is that we place our worth in what other people say about us. But that shouldn't be our focus.

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul:" (Matthew 10:28a KJV)
"I will not fear what flesh can do unto me." (Psalm 56:4b KJV)
"Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men." (1 Corinthians 7:23 KJV)
The sad thing is that we give mere human beings the power that only God should have. We let them dictate how we are to act, what we are to wear, and what we are to say. But that should be coming from God.

How can we avoid this fear? Let's let our faith in God be bigger than our fear of people.



Fear #2: Fear of what the future will bring

People with this fear are the "worrywarts." They always are thinking of the disasters that could happen tomorrow. 

The danger with this fear is that it makes us forget to enjoy the simple everyday moments and instead makes us think that something bad is always about to happen. 

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself." (Matthew 6:34 KJV)
How can we avoid worry? Remember that God will provide for the needs of tomorrow.





















Fear #3: Fear that we won't measure up 

People with this fear are "insecure." They constantly put themselves down by believing that no one likes them or that they are not good enough.

The danger in this fear is that it leads to the belief that we are worthless or that we can't do anything right. 
"For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ." (Galatians 1:10 KJV)
"Who [God] hath saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began." (2 Timothy 1:9 KJV)
How can we avoid insecurity? We have to remember that, even when we feel we have nothing to bring, God can still use us for His purposes. Each and everyone of us is special in His eyes.

So, what fear do you struggle with most? Are you a people-pleaser who's always worried about what others think? Are you a worrywart who can't stop thinking about what could go wrong? Or are you insecure in who God made you to be? Maybe your a mix of two or all three. 
Hopefully this post will help you to overcome your fear and step out in faith.
"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7 KJV)

<3 blue topaz

Which fear do you struggle with most?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Ashley! This post was so thought-provoking.
    I'd have to say that I'm probably with group #1; I'm a people pleaser. I'm trying to get better at it, because I know that God loves me as I am! It's just tough to realize that not everyone will love you - but that's okay, because our self-worth does not come from what other people think. :)
    Thanks for reading and commenting @ Scattered Journal Pages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amanda! I would definitely say I have struggled with being a people pleaser for sure. But you're definitely right about our worth not coming from other people! Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. You know, I haven't ever really sat down and thought about unhealthy fears before now.
    I'd definitely say I'm in category #3. I'm very self-deprecating and cynical, and (maybe because I'm homeschooled?) I always think people are just tolerating me - even when my commonsense tells me they really do enjoy my company.
    I'm a bit embarrassed to say I haven't really tried to fix the problem yet. I haven't talked to God about it, I haven't talked to my parents about it, nothing... I really should though.
    Thank you for reminding me that I am loved - by the only One who's love really matters.

    And I really like that last picture.

    ~Hann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Hann! I know it's hard to be honest about what we're afraid of sometimes but that's the first step to overcoming that fear. I'm so happy that this post made you think and be able to pinpoint an area that you're having struggles in. Thanks so much for reading and I'll be praying for you!!

      <3 ashley

      Delete

I allow anonymous comments but would be appreciative if you would leave your name when commenting. Thanks for commenting here; I really appreciate your feedback!

More Precious Than Gold. Powered by Blogger.