Dear Christian, Stop Relying on Yourself

Monday, July 17, 2017


We go to church. We help with ministry. We only watch Christian movies. We only listen to Christian music. We're always careful about how we dress. We're the Christian "doers". And we're very proud of that fact.

We pride ourselves in being better than the culture around us.

But there's something wrong with this picture.

Where's God in all of this?

Sure, we can go through the motions each day and do our Bible reading, go to church, pray, ect, but do we do it out of drudgery or do we do it out of love?

It's so easy to as Christians to rely on ourselves; we do all this for God so we must be doing great!

But we don't realize we're putting the focus on ourselves instead of on God. We don't realize we're really relying on ourselves more than we are on God.

When did our salvation start becoming about what we do?

When did our Christian image become more important than actually having a personal relationship with God?

When did Christianity become more about religion than about relationship?

We think that being a Christian means doing x, y, and z.

And there's nothing wrong with doing all that stuff. In fact, we should be doing them! But why do we do the things we do? Is it because we think we have to, to somehow "get God's attention"? Is it because we're trying to get the attention of others? Is it because we're trying to meet someone's expectations?

Or is it because we're so thankful for the work He did for us in our salvation that we can't help but want to please Him?

Without God, we are nothing.

Are you relying on yourself today or are you trusting in God's salvation?

"For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted unto the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth."  Romans 10:2-4 KJV

4 comments:

  1. Great thoughts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Arnica for the comment! I'm glad you thought it was good!

      Delete
  2. Can I just say that this blog series is so amazing and everything you're saying is challenging me right where I am today. Thank you <33

    I know that I /so often/ lose focus and try do things out of my own strength. And everything just gets harder and harder and I get more and more pressure until I eventually snap and go "God why are you letting this happen??" and then I realise. If I just committed it to Him, I could just trust. I could just rest, knowing that he's got me and I don't have to do it alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so so glad Jane! I've been challenging myself recently which is always good.
      Wow, that's so true! It's so easy to fall into that trap, but thank God we don't have to do it all on our own! Thanks so much for reading, Jane, and I'm glad that you've been encouraged and challenged by this series :D

      Delete

I allow anonymous comments but would be appreciative if you would leave your name when commenting. Thanks for commenting here; I really appreciate your feedback!

More Precious Than Gold. Powered by Blogger.