An Open Letter to Doubt

Monday, September 11, 2017

Personification is the best, isn't it? It's so cool to be able to give objects and feelings the characteristics of people. That's what I love about poetry. Well, this is a personified letter to doubt. You'll see me referring to doubt as a person almost; like someone you could run into at the grocery store or the person you work with. I hope it's clear and easy to understand.


Dear Doubt,

Why do you always show up at the wrong moments? Every time I need to have the most faith, we bump into each other.

And you always seem to talk me into your beliefs. After our short meeting, everything you said lingers in my head. How can you have that much influence on me?

What if God doesn't come through?
What if God didn't hear my prayer?
What if God's plan isn't what I have in mind?
What if God...?

You make me second guess. And you keep me second guessing. Things that I thought I knew about God in my head. Things I thought I would never second guess.

You cloud my head so I can't see clearly. You blind my eyes to the past or the future and instead make me focus on what's right now. You make me forget. Forget about His goodness. Forget about all the times God has come through for me in the past. Forget all the promises God makes to me in His Word.

Because of this, this forgetting, I suddenly want to take everything under my control. I want to be the one who's calling the shots in my life.

You lead to fear and worry. Which is ultimately why I want to be in control. It's scary letting go of things.

If there really isn't a God Who cares for me,
If there really isn't a God Who is in complete control,
If there really isn't a God Who hears my prayers,
Then there is definitely something to fear.

But, I've learned that there is. 

There is a God a Who cares for me.
There is a God Who is completely in control.
There is a God Who hears my prayers.
And I know that God.

So doubt, you don't have any place in my life. Not when I know such a great God.

Sincerely,
A Child of the King
"... nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." ~2 Timothy 1:12 KJV

4 comments:

  1. Doubt is so hard. It can really really drag us down and I've certainly been through it a lot. This year has been really full of a lot of stuff for me and that's including lots of doubt, so this post was really spot-on. It's always good to know that I'm not the only one, even though sometimes it really seems like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really can! And yes, it's great to know that other Christians struggle with some of the same things. When we're more isolated from each other, we may feel like we're the only ones who struggle in this area, but thank God we don't have to feel that way! I'm glad this post helped you, Jane. :) Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  2. perfect timing, as I doubt multiple things, including certain classes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this was good timing for you, Evan! I hope you were encouraged to stop doubting :)Thanks for reading!

      Delete

I allow anonymous comments but would be appreciative if you would leave your name when commenting. Thanks for commenting here; I really appreciate your feedback!

More Precious Than Gold. Powered by Blogger.